State API Keys¶
Unfortunately, some states find it necessary to require API Keys (or other credentials) to access their best data.
Despite the difficulties this creates for contributors, in the interest of ensuring we have the best possible data we’ve made the decision that we will use this data where possible.
- We will maintain (when possible) two copies of credentials, one for development and one for production. (Thus minimizing the chance that a mistake made w/ a development key will jeopardize our ability to scrape.)
- We encourage developers to get an API key of their own, but if necessary we can share our testing key in limited circumstances.
Currently only a few states require API keys:
- New York - http://legislation.nysenate.gov/static/docs/html/index.html
- Request Form: http://legislation.nysenate.gov/
- Indiana - http://docs.api.iga.in.gov/api.html
- Oregon - https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/citizen_engagement/Pages/data.aspx
- API Credentials Request Process: Email email@example.com and include your name, e-mail address, company or organization name, and contact phone number. Also please read over the API agreement and let them know you agree to the terms in the email.
If you’re in need of an API key and unable to via these channels please contact a member of the core team to discuss getting access to the development key.